Re: rollbacks ??

From: Xavi Gabaldà <VILCHES_at_santandersupernet.com>
Date: 1998/06/09

Hi.

I have an aplication that sometimes needs large transactions ( a lot of 'insert' operations ) and sometimes needs small transactions ( a lot of 'select' operations and some 'inserts' ).

My database structure is based on 'Starter Database':

Tablespaces:

    SYSTEM
    USER_DATA
    ROLLBACK_DATA
    TEMPORARY_DATA Rollback Segments:

    SYSTEM under SYSTEM Tablespace
    RB1, RB2, RB3, ...., RB15, RB16 under ROLLBACK_DATA Tablespace.

After installing 'Starter Database' I created:

    A large Tablespace ( MY_TABSP ) with a Datafile of 1 Gbyte. ( For my data )

    A large Tablespace ( MY_ROLTABSP ) with a Datafile of 50 Mbyte. ( For my transactions )

    A Rollback Segment ( MY_ROLSEG ) under MY_ROLTABSP Tablespace.

My questions are:

    When I open the database in the server, I do it writing all the segments in 'rollback_segments' section of the INIT.ORA parameter file. So, all Rollback segments are Online...

    How an aplication knows if has to use my large Rollback Segment  MY_ROLSEG ) or some of the other 16 Rollback Segments of ROLLBACK_DATA Tablespace? My data always is inserted and selected on MY_TABSP Tablespace.

    I read that you do a
 'set transaction use rollback segment RB_BIG;'  but I would like my aplication was 'Rollback segment' name 'independent'. Is there another way to do it ? ( Not in my program code )

    If I place Online only my large Rollback Segment...Will all transactions in my database be performed in this unique Rollback Segment?

    If I want to have a Tablespace ( MY_ROLTABSP ) for my large Rollback Segement ( MY_ROLSEG )... How Oracle knows that operations over my data Tablespace ( MY_TABSP ) must be transactioned on MY_ROLSEG.? In other words, where is set the relation between my data Tablespace ( MY_TABSP ) and my large Rolback Segment ( that resides in MY_ROLTABSP ).?

Thank you very much.

    Xavi Gabalda.

Lothar Armbrüster escribió en mensaje
<947.458T2911T12415442_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>...