Re: Does Oracle Replication support blobs?

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 02:24:18 GMT

On Tue, 09 Jun 1998 16:33:31 -0400, Tim Brett <tbrett_at_nortel.ca> wrote:

>Hi,
>I read in a recent posting that Oracle doesn't support certain data
>types
>for replication. Which types are supported? Is raw or blob data
>supported?

Oracle7 nor Oracle8 support replication of LONG or LONG RAW columns. Oracle8 does support replication of LOBs (very cool).

From page 4-18 of the Oracle8 Replication manual:

<snip>
Datatype Considerations for Snapshots

Oracle supports snapshots of master table columns that use the following datatypes: NUMBER, DATE, VARCHAR2, CHAR, NVARCHAR2, NCHAR, RAW,ROWID. Oracle also supports snapshots of master table columns that use the following large object types: binary LOBs (BLOBs), character LOBs (CLOBs), and national character LOBs (NCLOBs). However, you cannot reference LOB columns in a WHERE clause of a snapshot’s defining query. The deferred and synchronous remote procedure call mechanism used for replication propagates only the piece-wise changes to the supported LOB datatypes when piece-wise updates and appends are applied these LOB columns.

Note: Oracle8 does not support replication of LOB datatypes in replication environments where some sites are running Oracle7 release 7.3.

Oracle does not support the replication of columns that use the LONG datatype.

Oracle simply omits the data in LONG columns from snapshots.

Oracle also does not support user-defined object types and external or file-based LOBs (BFILEs). Attempts to configure snapshots containing columns of these datatypes returns an error message. </snip>

>Thanks,
>Tim
>--
>tbrett_at_nortel.ca
>(514) 765-7759

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Tue Jun 09 1998 - 21:24:18 CDT