Compressed Oracle export directly to tape

From: <GValdes_at_apa.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 14:49:07 GMT

I am trying to do a compressed Oracle export directly to tape, using a Unix named pipe.

gtar -zcvf /dev/rmt/0h /tmp/exp.dmp &

exp instance/passwd parfile=export.par

using file=/tmp/exp.dmp (rw named pipe)

But, I get the following error messages:

EXP-00028: failed to open /tmp/exp.dmp for write EXP-00222:
System error message 4

I can get the system to compress to disk using a pipe (zcat instead of gtar).

Is there a way to do this without writing to disk ?

Thanks

Gonzalo