Create database wipes out existing db

From: Frank Calfo <TFIAM_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/06/08

I am testing the create database process on an NT 4.0 test server running Enterprise Server 7.3.4
I am following the Oracle documentation and special bulletin on creating a database.
The steps seem simple enough, but I always seem to destroy the existing database when I startup the new one or vice-versa. This is not a comforting result.

The Oracle sample database was created as part of the Oracle installation and is running fine.

I am trying to deploy our development database onto the test server and am using the parameter files and create scripts that successfully built that database on our development server.

I have made sure that the parameter file and db create scripts do not use the same names as the existing database.

I am careful to set the ORACLE_SID to the new instance value prior to running the steps.

After I create the Oracle services via oradim73 I start the database via Server Manager, specifically referencing the parameter file to use.

The create steps seem to run fine, but when I query the newly created database for the expected structure I see the structure of the sample database.

I have a feeling that the Oracle start service is not using the correct parameter file.

Am I falling into a common problem here?

It seems to easy to wreck an existing database by starting a new one with the wrong parameter file. Is there a way to safeguard against this?

P.S. where is the documentation on Instance Manager line mode ?

Thanks,
Frank Received on Mon Jun 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT