Large files on Solaris 2.6

From: Barry Roomberg <broom_at_voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 02:15:50 GMT

Goal: LARGE file system based files.
Oracle 8.0.4
OS: Solaris 2.6 (not March release) with the recommended patches. File system type: Veritas, mkfs'ed with the largefiles option, mounted with the large files option, and yes, I can create large files via 'cat >'.

Large file definition: anything over 2GB.

So far:
Using raw devices, I can create 19GB raw file. Using file system, I can't do better than 2GB. I AM using the OSH program before starting up the DB. I notice that the error changes depending on whether my target file size is > or < than 10GB (does OSH up the ulimit to 10GB?), but it still errors. When trying a 9GB file, it actually only creates a 900MB file!

Related note: I always found raw devices to be around 30% faster but a bitch to manage. I've just start playing with Veritas, and without any tweaking, it seems just as fast as raw devices. Has anybody done any comparisions that they'ed like to share?

Post or email welcome, I will recap.

Thanks. Received on Mon Jun 08 1998 - 21:15:50 CDT