Re: Reducing Redo Log

From: Eugen Nyffeler <eugen.nyffeler_at_ubs.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:29:25 +0200

John Vernes wrote:

<snip>

> Questions:
> * Does the size of the PCTFREE parameter effect the redo size?

No, pctfree afects only the size of your tables and indexes.

> * I mean to remember that in Oracle 8 it must be possible to reduce the
> redo log when using the statement ALTER TABLE ...... NOLOG;
> This should work for parallel insert, but also for serial inserts as I
> recall.
> Has anyone played with this feature and if so do you have some results
> for me?
> * Are there other ways to reduce the redo log size?

Don't know O8, but have a llok at your backup/restore concept beor you use such features.
If you do this thing each day and several times and would like to have a restore to point
of failure it's a great trick ;-)
Because each time you do it your backup doesn'r reflect this changes and also there's no
hint in the redo/arch files of your changes and the backup is out of sync.
IMHO don't use it except your backup/recovery strategie is able to handle with it.

rgds
eugen Received on Mon Jun 08 1998 - 12:29:25 CDT