Changing NLS_CHARACTERSET issues

From: Craig Jensen <craigj_at_NO-SPAM.powerquest.com>
Date: 1998/06/05

Currently our 7.3 database is using US7ASCII as the NLS_CHARACTERSET. While searching DejaNews I discovered how to change this but my first question is if I change the database to a Unicode character set or to some other character set, will the data still be correct? Will a character 'A' still be an 'A'?

While searching DejaNews I also found a reference to the fact that the client and server's NLS attributes must be mapped correctly. If not you get garbage stored in the database.

All our client machines are Win95 or WinNT 4.0 but the application is 16-bit. Is it possible to change the character set to support special characters?

TIA
Craig Jensen
Programmer Analyst
PowerQuest Corporation Received on Fri Jun 05 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT