Psuedo SIDs is this possible (help)

From: Peter Gross <unix_at_number13.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:40:12 +0100

Here's a couple of (possible solutions).

  1. Create a small database and experiment with changes to the initSID.ora file. AFAIK, the init.ora refers to the db_name, and SQL*Net (for example) refers to the SID. Therefore, it should be possible to ...
    • copy initPROD.ora to initX.ora
    • copy initDEV.ora to initPROD.ora
    • copy initX.ora to initDEV.ora

This means that when you start PROD it will point to the DEV database, and vice-versa. Internally the dbname (or global db name as it is now) will still be DEV. SQL*Net is only interested in the SID's referenced in tnsnames.ora (or topology.ora) on the client, but I haven't tried this so there maybe other reasons why it won't work.

2. If this isn't what you want, then you can try ...

I did this recently, but don't know if this exactly right, however I will have access to my notes on Monday if you need further pointers.

Hope this helps.

Pete Gross
Contract UNIX System Admin and Oracle DBA UK

In article <6jv9ra$igh_at_gcsin3.geccs.gecm.com>, raymond.craig_at_gecm.com writes

--
Peter Gross Received on Fri Jun 05 1998 - 11:40:12 CDT