Re: Easy SRVMGR question

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 18:35:54 GMT

On Thu, 04 Jun 1998 13:12:24 GMT, bmolish_at_btsquared.com wrote:

>I currently telnet into our Hp UX box from my pc, and then log onto Oracle.
>I need to run a SQL script in Oracle that is located on my pc hard drive.
>I log into Oracle, and then connect internal to SVRMGR.
>To run the script I type in
>@"c:\scripts\4\test.sql" and then I get an error that it can't open the file.
>I have also tried @c:\scripts\4\test.sql. If the script is on the HP UX box,
>it will run fine, I just can't figure out how to run the script from my hard
>drive.
>
>What is the actual syntax that I should be using, if this is possible to do?

>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

You are right...this is an easy Server Manager question, or more correctly, a SQL*Plus question.

When you telnet into your HP/UX box, you are establishing a virtual session within that server. This is roughly the equivalent as if you went to the console of the machine and logged in there. Thus, your "client", as far as Oracle and your server is concerned, is established *on* the server. It doesn't know if you're using some Telnet software on your PC, or if you're using some VT100 terminal.

The easy solution is to use the Windows-based version of SQL*Plus. Simply use this to log into Oracle (supplying the appropriate connect string for your database server). This SQL*Plus for Windows tool "knows" about your PC, so you should be able to run these scripts directly from your PC.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Jun 04 1998 - 13:35:54 CDT