Calling SP from VB5.0 and returning a value

From: <mark_at_vitalworks.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 14:52:37 GMT

I'm trying to call a SP from VB5. The idea is to return the .nextval of a sequence from the procedure after I insert a record. My SP Looks Like This: (

in_BLOOD_TYPE_NAME in varchar2 default null,
in_MODIFIED_BY in number default null,
in_EDIT_FLAG in varchar2 default null,

out_BLOOD_TYPE_ID out number
)
IS
BEGIN
	SELECT SEQ_MAINT_BLOOD_TYPE_ID.nextval
	INTO out_BLOOD_TYPE_ID
        FROM user_sequences;

        insert into MAINT_BLOOD_TYPE

(
BLOOD_TYPE_ID, BLOOD_TYPE_NAME, TIMESTAMP, MODIFIED_BY, EDIT_FLAG ) values
(
out_BLOOD_TYPE_ID, in_BLOOD_TYPE_NAME, SYSDATE, in_MODIFIED_BY, in_EDIT_FLAG ); commit; EXCEPTION when others then rollback;

end ADDMAINT_BLOOD_TYPE;

According to PL/SQL book, the passed value of the actual parameter is ignored if declared as 'OUT', as I have for out_BLOOD_TYPE_ID. Here's the VB code to call the SP:

Public conn As rdoConnection

rdoEngine.rdoEnvironments(0).CursorDriver = rdUseOdbc Set conn = rdoEngine.rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("ODBCSOURCE", rdDriverNoPrompt, False, "uid=;pwd=", rdAsyncEnable)

BLOOD_TYPE_NAME = "Type AB+"
MODIFIED_BY = 1
EDIT_FLAG = "N" SQL = "BEGIN ADDMAINT_BLOOD_TYPE('" & BLOOD_TYPE_NAME & "'," _      & MODIFIED_BY & ", '" & EDIT_FLAG & "', " & BLOOD_TYPE_ID & "); end;"

conn.Execute SQL

' SQL reads: BEGIN ADDMAINT_BLOOD_TYPE('Type AB+',1, 'N', 0); end;

I Get the following Error:
PLS-00363: expression '0' cannot be used as an assignment target.

According to PL/SQL Book, the Stored Procedure should reassign the formal parameter (out_BLOOD_TYPE_ID) to the Actual Parameter, supposedly BLOOD_TYPE_ID. What's Wrong?