Re: DBA Responsibilities... who owns the database?

From: Andrew Protasov <protasov_at_percombank.kiev.ua>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:01:47 +0300

Hi Mark,

There are many permissions belonging ordinary to DBA, that should be granted to senior developer for his effective work. It is necessary to

alter system kill session 'x,y'

for long running queries during tuning process. It is necessary to create new test users. The ability to select SYS.DBA_ views is very useful when comparing structures in development and production databases.

I use encrypted password from SYS.DBA_USERS to restore original password after changing it. This is necessary to change password, connect as another user,
create, replace or compile some objects and restore original password. You need DBA permission in order to change another user's password.

I need SELECT ANY TABLE, INSERT ANY TABLE and UPDATE ANY TABLE rights to insert or update table contents from one schema into another.

One may grant all these rights to some role and this role will be VERY similar
to DBA role but with another name. Maybe all this schema management is responsibility of our DBA but he deels only with hardware, physical structure
and backups. Schema management is developer's responsibility.

Andrew Protasov

<01bd8ef8$c17a6720$a12c6394_at_J00679271.ddc.eds.com>...