Re: Help with 2 Questions ?

From: Darren Capper <xzo92_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1998/06/03

<snip>

>I'd use the set_block_property('block_name',DEFAULT_WHERE,...); followedby
>execute_query(all_records);That's not because it's faster or more efficient
>(it really doesn't matter, cause the
>query is alsways as SQL-statement to the database and time is spend while
>executing the SQL-statement and transmitting data). This is just because
>you can use the procedures everywhere in your app and not only in a
>trigger.

Using the set_block_property('block_name',DEFAULT_WHERE,...); is definately the best method (IMHO). I need to do this for the majority of my forms as I have a lot of non-basetable items within the form that need to be queried on. I generally use it on a KEY-EXEQRY trigger but I suppose you could use it anywhere :)

>> B Which is the recommended size for a Database Package?. We are using
>> Oracle 7.3.3.

Tricky one this. My approach is to have a general package for the system, a package per table and a package per application. Is this overkill? I don't think so :) I use the system package for all the boring general functions, procedures etc. The table package contains functions like func_GenerateId, func_GenerateSequence, func_GetProperty. The application package contains functions that make the application run easier, e.g. Performing multiple selects for a POST-QUERY. By spliting the packages up I reduce the size of each and also promote reuse. It is also easier to maintain believe it or not.

Darren Received on Wed Jun 03 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT