Re: DBA Responsibilities... who owns the database?

From: Robert Hart <rhart_at_gov.edmonton.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 15:38:59 -0600

Hi Mike

Well, I've been poking around Oracle since version five ( I can't believe it's been that long ). I have worked in places where you have the traditional DBA *God Like* power trip role ( as one of the DBA's ), and I've worked in shops where allmost everyone has DBA priv. I think the wide open shop works better for development and testing but a little more security is in order for production systems.

I NEVER give people the sys or system acount. I'll give them DBA priviledge but I will not let them use those accounts. Most recently I was in an application developer role and the DBA for the organization was more then happy to dump all his stuff on me. It has to do with trust, he knows I can do it, he knows I will not abuse the power, AND he knows that if I screw up I will fix it.

I've given people DBA priviledge and had them screw up big time. Cleaning up a persons mess can really annoy me. I seriously wanted to revoke that developers priviledge but if I did it would be more work for me.

The Role of the DBA is changing in todays world. It is difficult to justfy the existance of a DBA only person / group when the tools to manage the database are getting so easy to use. In addition to this how many databases are out there today. We have Oracle/NT servers cropping up everywhere. Sometimes a simple application has it's own dedicated server when it is only 25 meg of data ( I've actually seen this ).

I think the dedicated DBA database owner role is dead. The DBA needs to adjust to being a Developer / DBA. There still is a need for the true dedicated Oracle DBA Guru but only in very large shops or as a contractor. Some people may not like it but the writting is on the wall.

l8r
Robert Hart