Re: DBA Responsibilities... who owns the database?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 00:58:49 GMT

On Wed, 03 Jun 1998 02:11:41 GMT, Mike Oswald <moswald_at_mitec.net> wrote:

>Okay... so we are going around and around... I came from the
>Applications world and still do some development to support the DBA's
>using Oracle*Forms. But recently the Apps Director insisted that his
>Developers play/be the DBA's in an Oracle instance that we have setup
>for them (for testing).

<snip>

>Should the Apps Developers stay out of the SYSTEM / SYS accounts? I/we
>don't have a problem with the Developers creating tables/synonyms/etc...
>but to control the whole instance? Hmmmm!!!

I agree that only DBAs should have access to the SYSTEM/SYS accounts. But if your management says otherwise, that's a tough battle to fight. Who owns the hardware? Is there an Operations Director?

Most of the developers I support do not want to mess with tablespaces, or anything else related to the SYS account. A few do. Once a certain level of complexity was reached, most people were happy to leave everything to me.

The biggest problem you face, is that when things get mucked up, you will be the one called to fix them. It'll be your fault because you are the DBA. It's happened to me more than once.

Jonathan Received on Wed Jun 03 1998 - 19:58:49 CDT