DBA for Application

From: <akrighjb_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 18:04:41 GMT

One of my responsibilities is Dba for a Development Team.

There's about 5 Developers on the team I'm supporting and initially I created a tablespace for each team member to create their objects and work within.

This is a development instance that has a tablespace in which they are not suppose to create objects within only test their programs (stored procedures) against. Lets call this tablespace TEST with objects in it owned by TEST.

I've tried to educate them on the Oracle Architecture. What I've told them is they can copy tables from the TEST to their tablespace and run their programs. And then when they;re ready compile/run they're procedures as TEST.

I created a role called DEVELOPER and I've been adding privileges to the role as I get "I CAN'T DO THAT BECAUSE I KEEP GETTING INSUFFICIENT PRIVILEGES". The role now is just short of DBA.

What I'm looking for is peoples input on how to be a DBA for a development project. Experiences, how to setup and manage, politics, and whatever knowlege you can provide for this position.

Thanks
John