Please help

From: Donald King <smokee82_at_cjnetworks.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 00:26:23 -0500

My organization is a state agency. We are planning on developing and deploying a web-centric application that will serve as an information system with a central data repository being housed within our agency. Yesterday, in a phone conversation with Oracle representatives, we outlined our specific needs based on what we wanted the application to do, expected functionality, etc. ect. Basically what is needed is a web server, querying a backend database, that can be accessed via the Internet by up to 2000 or so service providers within the state (there would probably never be close to that many but it is possible given the numbers) accessing it periodically, a total of 11 area agencies within the state accessing it frequently and daily, and 40 in house staff accessing it daily and probably as frequently. We are going to have 8 developers working on the project using designer 2000 and/or the web development suite. Now I understand that this software can be expensive but after figuring up the developer licenses and the server licenses (web server and applications server) the total shocked me. It was nearly $280,000 dollars for the software alone! Is this outrageous or is this rather normal? I do not have experience purchasing Oracle products so I do not know for sure but more than a quarter of a million dollars just for development and server software? I am wondering if they misunderstood our needs. Now granted this will be an Internet accessible application but it just seems like too much. Can anyone that has had a similar development problem\solution give me some feedback. Any is greatly appreciated.

Donald King
Applications Programmer\Analyst Received on Wed Jun 03 1998 - 00:26:23 CDT