Re: Data Warehouse and DB Block Buffers

From: <rad_at_earthling.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:30:10 GMT

Thanks for the reply. We have DB block buffers set to 500MB and are using PQO. The stripe size in Oracle is set to 16K though the raid stripe is set to 64K. (recommended by HP) Can the Oracle multi block read count be set to 64k?

We have read tablespaces on RAID5, indexes on RAID1/0 and logs on RAID1.

My next question is UNIX buffer cache. It is set to 200MB. Would Oracle benefit from UNIX cache (using jfs filesystems)? I would think it would add unnecessary overhead since Oracle has it's own buffers. What about "Direct IO" on HPUX?