Re: Oracle Transparent Gateway on AIX

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 15:26:23 -0500

We use the Oracle Transparent Gateway. It cannot comunicate with CICS. Oracle has the Procedural Gateway for CICS interfacing.

The Transparent Gateway gives an Oracle database access to a DB2 database via an Oracle database link. It does NOT give the DB2 database access to an Oracle database. Kind of a one-way street!

IBM sells DataJoiner to give DB2 access to Oracle, Sybase, etc. Again, this is database linking, not transactional.

The Transparent Gateway protects your DB2 security. We use a public database link that does not have a userid or password in its definition. This means that each user's connection to DB2 must send the userid and password that was used to connect to Oracle. Our DB2 uses the RACF exit to validate the userid and password. And, of course, DB2 also uses RACF GROUPS to determine object authorizations.

I'm not sure about your needs, but one of the three should work.