Re: logon as SYSDBA question

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <no_email_address_at_westpac.com.au>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 08:43:22 -0700

Yes, when you log in with AS SYSDBA, the password is different As far as I can remember, Oracle Installer asks to specify this password during installation, doesn't it? This password is also known as password for INTERNAL. You need this password to perform startup and shutdown.

If you are absolutely sure that you did NOT specify any password during installation, try "oracle". What kind of Oracle do you have? Is it Oracle Server and Personal Oracle? The difference is that while Oracle Server actually creates database during installation (i.e. executes CREATE DATABASE), Personal Oracle simply copies database files from the installation media, so you cannot specify the password.

You can also try to play with parameters in the Windows Registry. Start Registry editor (regedit.exe ?) and search for ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID.
You'll find some interesting parameters there.

Finally: please note that Oracle on NT is using password file (hidden file in the same directory as initSID.ora and datafiles). Vsevolod