Re: View performance

From: Jackie Marino <Jackie.A.Marino_at_wgp.twc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 21:43:13 GMT

stegri_at_rocketmail.com wrote:

> Does anybody know if using views instead of tables affects performance?
> I've heard that view are in some way 'compiled' (although I don't understand
> what is there to be compiled) and are even more efficient than retriving
> columns as 'normal' select-stmts.
>
> /Stelios Grigoriadis

Views on tables gains performance in less i/o hits on the actual tables. Instead of hitting the tables with SQL, you are just hitting a view or picture of the tables. The SQL is only performed once on compilation of the view and then are stored in the data dictionary just like procedures and functions. You can manually recompile a view. For example, if names change in the table it references. Received on Thu May 28 1998 - 16:43:13 CDT