Re: exporting ASCII file from Oracle8

From: <mpir_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1998/05/27

In article <6khji2$qfb$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   mustafah_at_criticalsys.com wrote:

> I am trying to export specific columns from an Oracle8 table into an ASCII
> tab delimited file, I can't seem to find the utility that will perform this
> functionality. The utility has to be compatible with Oracle7.3 also.
>
> Another related question is: can I append the exported data to any existing
> ASCII file.

> Thanks
> Mustafa

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

There is no direct utility from Oracle (unless one has just been released).

There are a couple of ways to do it. A script that concatenates the tabs/comma-quote as part of the select. Use an front end to grab a working set of the data (such as Access or Lotus) which can generate a file.

I know there are freeware scripts around, but I don't know where they are on the 'net.

If you use the script approach, it will probably overwrite an existing file.