Re: Row Chaining

From: Steve Haynes <steve_at_rwx777.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 20:05:46 +0100

In article <356BFF40.779D_at_ictgroup.com>, Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com> writes
>You can avoid these problems by using STORAGE clauses in your table
>create statements. Make the initial extent large enough to handle the
>expected normal volume and the next extent large enough so that one
>additional extent will hold all but the biggest tables. Also look at
>altering the PCTFREE value to leave enough space to accommodate all of
>the data that will be entered AFTER THE TABLE IS CREATED. Finally, if
>your applications entail the initial creation of a subset of each row
>and the row is filled in later use CHAR instead of VARCHAR or VARCHAR2
>in order to reserve the space up front.

The use of CHAR is a good idea, but if you have number columns which start off null and are then updated, you still have problems. (I think?!)
Steve
--
"The floggings will continue until morale improves." Received on Wed May 27 1998 - 14:05:46 CDT