Re: Moving SYSTEM data files

From: Brian P. Mac Lean <brian.maclean_at_ips-sendero.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 12:01:31 -0700

Several options:

  1. full export; drop and recreate the database; full import;
  2. recreate the control file(s) using the commands "alter database backup controlfile to 'filename'" and "create controlfile....." using the new path/name with the "create controlfile.....";
  3. in svrmgr: shutdown (at the host level move/rename the datafile) startup mount alter database rename file 'old_name_path' to 'new_name_path'; alter database open; (note:non system datafiles can be renamed with the database open as long as the datafile is offline)
  4. if it's a UNIX system, with the DB shutdown, move the datafile from 'old' to 'new' and put a link at 'old' pointing to 'new';

BOL Brian P. Mac Lean
Senior DBA/Oracle Master
IPS-Sendero Corporation
7272 E. Indian School Rd., Suite 300
Scottsdale, AZ 85251-3966
MAILTO:brian.maclean_at_sendero.fiserv.com MAILTO:brian.maclean_at_ips-sendero.com