Re: logon as SYSDBA question

From: Steve McAreavey <stephen.mcareavey_at_bt.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 14:52:04 +0100

Hi,

You can only log in using the 'as SYSDBA' syntax if you have created an external password file (using the ORAPWD utility), and there is an entry in your initSID.ora file like :

remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive

Doing this allows DBA privileges to users without giving the SYS/SYSTEM accounts, or an OS account in the dba group. These users can be given an Oracle Password File entry, allowing them to start/stop the database etc. from their own oracle id's. This technique is more secure than simply granting the DBA role from within ORACLE. It can also be used when the database is down.

This being said, you obviously have access to the SYS account, giving you full DBA privileges. If you also have access to the Oracle operating system account (or dba group) then you don't need to create a password file - you have full control as it is. Just don't use the 'as SYSDBA' suffix!

HTH Steve