Re: OWS 2.1 Hanging for 5 minutes.

From: David Novice <dnovice_at_cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:26:09 -0700

Michael Rothwell wrote:

> I can understand this in the case of the first call to the
> WRB. But I also get this on occasion in the middle of some
> testing. It will be working fine for a while, then all the
> sudden I click on a pl/sql page that hangs for several
> minutes.
>
> Michael.
>
> oem wrote:
> >
> > The Web Request Broker will get started up upon the first http access, not
> > when the listener is started.
> > Hence, the first call is always slow. After all the WRB are started, then
> > they will be waiting to serve the request, and the performance is ok.
> >
> > Michael Rothwell <michael_rothwell_at_non-hp-usa-om46.om.hp.com> wrote in
> > article <356302D4.610B6E1B_at_non-hp-usa-om46.om.hp.com>...
> > > I have OWS 2.1 running on an NT 4.0 box accessing a 7.3x DB
> > > on an NT 4.0 box. At times OWS just seems to hang for a
> > > long period of time. Quite often it does it when I access
> > > the first page generated by PL/SQL but has done at other
> > > times also. It seems to happen on 2 of 3 systems, my dev
> > > system and my test system, I have not seen this problem on
> > > prod yet. Once the system starts going again, I dont notice
> > > any degrade in performance. Any ideas on what may be
> > > causing this??
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Michael.

 Check the min and max number of processes that you have configured. If they are the same, and you reach the maximum, I've seen OWS2.1 get stuck. It can't spawn a new process and doesn't know what to do. If you have min=2 and max=10, for example, though, the problem won't occur. Received on Tue May 26 1998 - 19:26:09 CDT