Re: How can I create an Index File from a database?

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_ictgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 12:05:00 -0400

Hi Ashesh,

If I am interpreting your requirement correctly you are trying to export the index from one Oracle database and then importing it into another Oracle database. I am not 100% certain, but I think the only way you can create indexes are:

        Export and then import the table.

        Write a CREATE INDEX statement.

        Define a table with a (PRIMARY) KEY.

From your request I gather that exporting and then importing is not an acceptable solution. Writing a CREATE INDEX statement is, IMHO, a better solution than defining keys as part of the table definition since it gives you the opportunity of controlling where the index is placed and the number and size of the index extents.