Re: What is the best way to copy a database to another machine?

From: Pavel Polcar <pavel.polcar_at_berit.cz>
Date: 26 May 1998 07:06:31 GMT

Hi,
here is my opinion:
1) If it is to be a 1:1 copy, this should be the fastest alternative under the assumption
that the directory structure on the destination machine will be exactly the same as on
the original one. Otherwise you would have to rename manually all the files using the
ALTER DATABASE command. If the server on the destination machine is not installed
yet, you must install it and then manually create the services (or let the system create
a database just for the purpose of creating services). 2) I have no experience with "Standby" option. 3) Export/import is good if you want to uitlize the opportunity to reorganize the
dababase, like changing the directory structure, compacting tables into one extent, etc.
But it may take quite a long time, especially import. 4) Here I don't understand quite well what type of backup you mean. If it's  a cold backup
of the database then it's more or less equivalent to 1).

I hope it will help you in deciding,

Regards,
--
Pavel Polcar

Steven Peterson <stevenpeterson_at_mindspring.com> wrote in article <3569FD04.11990CDD_at_mindspring.com>...