What is the best way to copy a database to another machine?

From: Steven Peterson <stevenpeterson_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 19:21:41 -0400

Hi,

I need to make an exact copy of a database on another machine (Both original and copy are on Windows NT machines running Oracle 7.3 Workgroup server). I have seen the following methods discussed in this newsgroup:

  1. Take the servers down, copy all files from the database directory of one machine to the other, then restart.
  2. Use the "Standby" server option
  3. Use export/import
  4. Use backup.

Does anyone have a pointer to a discussion of the pros/cons of each method and/or a recommendation?

--
Steven Peterson, President
Frontier Productions, Inc.