Re: Poor SQL Loader performance

From: Keith Boulton <boulkenospam_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 11:22:50 GMT

On Mon, 18 May 1998 23:43:43 GMT, kush_at_netcom.com (Aaron Kushner) wrote:

>I am using SQL*Loader to populate a datawarehouse and am surprised
>by what slow times I am getting on the loads.
>
>System: HP K460 with two 180Mhz processors 384MB RAM
>Software: Oracle 7.3.2.2 HP-UX 10.20
>Config: The index, temp, and the datafile are on separate drives
>
>I am using direct path load and unrecoverable option

This information is taken from the Oracle 8 utilities user guide.

You could pre-sort the data and use the sorted indexes statement to reduce the time required to update the primary key index. Oracle sorting is generally very poor, and a third party sorting tool much much faster.

Set ROWS to a large number e.g. rows=200000 depending on available memory.

Ensure that the space allocated to the table is enough for the new rows.

Increasing the value of sort_area_size may speed up the index rebuild. Received on Mon May 25 1998 - 06:22:50 CDT