Re: newbie

From: Roger Loeb <rloeb_at_martech.com>
Date: 1998/05/24

You can download the entire Oracle server for Windows NT from the Oracle Web site, particularly if you register as a developer (which is real easy). That may not be where you want to start.

Are you already familiar with relational databases and SQL. If not, that's where I'd start, and I probably wouldn't start with something as sophisticated and powerful as Oracle, although I'm not sure what other platform I would recommend.

There are a number of good books on relational databases and SQL, and a huge number of mediocre books on Oracle. Depending on how much or little you already know, I'd probably go looking for one of the "Dummies" books, which are usually pretty good. If you're already experienced with relational databases and are fluent in SQL, then download the NT version and read the softcopy manuals.

Rog