Re: Backing up Oracle

From: Jeremy Russell <jeremyr_at_don't>
Date: 1998/05/22

Gary - what appears in your alert logs (check the directory referenced by the "init.ora" parameter "background_dump_dest")??? A "shutdown immediate" is not exactly immediate - that mode will rollback any transactions currently underway, which may take time - if you've got a long job running, undoing it will take an appreciable amount of disk I/O, hence the delay. No new connections / sessions will be allowed to start at this time.

I guess your backup is "shell-scripted"? You might need to write some smart shell / awk type code to detect the completion of the successful shutdown; then again, you might have pissed some users off by shutting down the database anyway! A "shutdown normal" is the more usual and "database-friendly" way of closing Oracle down.

You do know that you can do "online" / "hot" backups without shutting down, don't you?

"startup force" does indeed do a "shutdown abort" followed by a "startup" - the effect is to make the server go through a fast recovery during the startup phase - that ought to fix any potential corruption by rolling back / undoing any transactions that were "in progress" at the time you issued "startup force". But sometimes it might not, hence the DBA's negative comments, I guess.

Hope some of that helps.

Jeremy