Re: DataArchitect database design tool - is there a better product for Oracle?

From: Terry Dykstra [TeamPS] <no_spam_tdykstra_at_cfol.ab.ca>
Date: 1998/05/21

I would pose the question on the powersoft.public.powerbuilder.powerdesigner newsgroup as well. (server: forums.powersoft.com). BTW, PowerDesigner was originally developed for Oracle only. It later added support for other databases. And Sybase is fully committed to the product.

--
Terry Dykstra [TeamPS]
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
Mark Greaves wrote in message <6k1gur$57v$1_at_news-2.csn.net>...

>I have recently taken over maintaining an Entity-Relationship Diagram in
the
>DataArchitect tool of Powersoft's Power Designer (or Process Data Model, as
>it is called in DataArchitect). I am having a few problems with this
>product, and wonder if others have had similar troubles, and if there is a
>better tool available. Of course, I can't help but wonder, since Powersoft
>was bought out by Sybase, if it is wise to use this product for an Oracle
>database!
>
>Here are the problems I have encountered:
>
>1. It does not allow for the definition of combination triggers, such as
>"insert or update or delete". Triggers have to be coded as ONLY insert, or
>ONLY update, or ONLY delete.
>
>2. It creates redundant constraints. For each primary key column, it
>creates a separate NOT NULL constraint, which is unnecessary in Oracle,
>since primary keys by definition have to contain a value. This doesn't
>cause any errors in the database, but these extra constraints just clutter
>things up. I can't find any option to not create them either.
>
>3. It generates triggers for referential constraints, which handle the
>updating, deleting, etc. of child records when the parent is modified.
This
>often causes "mutating table" errors in oracle - a trigger can't modify a
>table which is linked by a constraint. I would much rather take care of my
>foreign key relationships through constraints than with these generated
>triggers.
>
>4. As for the diagramming tool itself, I find it rather awkward to use.
By