Re: Oracle 7.3 AIX - CICS/DB2 Online connection

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378nospam_at_deere.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 21:12:37 -0500

We use Oracle's Transparent Gateway for DRDA to access our DB2 databases from Oracle.

The "transparent" means that a user / programmer accesses the DB2 tables as though they are Oracle tables via a database link. The database link is actually pointed to the gateway. The gateway runs on an AIX machine with SNA services installed. The gateway connects over LU6.2 to DB2's DDF.

There is no software to install on the MVS side. There is no software to install on the database. There is no software to install on client machines beyond the SQL*Net 2.x that is needed to access the Oracle database.

The gateway may be installed on the same AIX machine as the database, or on a separate machine.

Clients (SQL*Plus, MS Access, Forms, ....) CAN NOT access the gateway. The gateway can only be accessed via a database link defined in an Oracle database. This is not a problem to us.