Re: Multiblock_read_count setting

From: Sunit Patke <supatke_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 16:20:46 -0400

This is what Oracle Server Reference states:

DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT operating system–dependent

Used for multi–block I/O, this is the maximum number of blocks read in one I/O operation during a sequential scan. The default is a function of DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS and PROCESSES. Values in the range of 4 to 16 or even 32 are reasonable.

The actual maximums vary by operating system; they are always less than the operating system’s maximum I/O size expressed as Oracle blocks (max_IO_size/DB_BLOCK_SIZE), and can never be larger than DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS/4. For information on the optimizer, see Oracle7 Server Tuning.

See also your operating system–specific Oracle documentation for the default value.

Hope this helps

Sunit