Re: Oracle Multi-Threaded Server

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 16:14:27 GMT

A copy of this was sent to "Pierre" <proussin_at_tactik.com> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 21 May 1998 14:41:25 GMT, you wrote:

>Hi,
> I've been using multi-thread for a while. There is no overhead on
>the system. In the
> contrary, it will alleviate the forks executed by sql*net everytime
>a user connects.
> Multi-thread is only good for short transactions with no idle time
>(CONNECT,
> EXECUTE TRANSACTION, DISCONNECT).
No, not really. This is one class of users who can use it but the other class of users are OLTP type applications where any given statement the client application uses takes ones of seconds or less.

MTS works like a multiplexer. Many users will share a single dedicated server (a shared server process). The shared server is monopolized by a single user at a time (hence the request that statements take ones of seconds or less). If you have 100 users who each spend only 10% of their time in the database and the other 90% is think time looking at data, you can get away with a very small number of shared servers to service all of their needs. Instead of 100 dedicated servers, you might have 5 or 10 shared servers in this environment.

>It can't be used
> with FORMS or REPORTS.

No true at all. Forms can make excellent use of MTS due to the fact that most forms SQL statements take a very short time to execute (mostly simple SELECTs against 1 table, single row insert/update/deletes). Forms works very well with MTS. Reports -- due to the fact that you probably have long running queries in there, might not be as good a candidate for MTS but there is nothing saying that it isn't either. It depends on how the application uses the database.

>The whole idea of using MTS is to minimize
>the CPU
> activity produced by the forking of childs.

Thats only part of it. That is what PRESPAWNING servers would do (sql*net option to prespawn servers, thats the only thing it does). MTS also reduces the number of processes on the system at any point in time by sharing a single server with many users.

> If some users are using FORMS and REPORTS they can still connect
>through
> the same listener by setting a parameter in their tnsnames.ora
>file (SERVER=DEDICATED)
>

> CIAO Pierre
>yossiz_at_amdocs.com wrote in message <6k1495$q2q$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
>>Does any one have experience with Multi-Threaded Server of Oracle 7.3 or
>>Oracle 8 on AIX?
>>
>>Any known problems?
>>
>>What are the overheads of this configuration?
>>
>>Thanks in advance.

>>http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Thu May 21 1998 - 11:14:27 CDT