Questions: Log interval checkpoints and log switches

From: <vjavaly_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 14:02:18 GMT

I am running a data warehouse application on Oracle 8.0.3 (on an 8-cpu Sun Ultra 4000
process from flat files to
warehouse tables (via PL/SQL procedures), the though log switches occur every 4 minutes, there are about checkpoints between log switches. 6 different load streams are running simultaneously.
being inserted into the transient
and they are truncated prior to the load). The 425,000 rows (200 Mb) being inserted into the data warehouse entire load process is taking 40 minutes. MPSTAT shows that 30-40% of time is spent in usr/sys mode, 50-60% time is spent in wait mode, and almost no idle time.
files (100 Mb each)

log_buffer = 41943040
log_checkpoint_timeout = 0
log_simultaneous_copies = 16

1) Why are my log switches occuring so frequently (given the size of my redo log files)?
log switches?
result in redo log entries?
specified result in 200 Mb of redo log
flushed to disk? When it reaches 1/3 full? triggered? Is the log_checkpoint_interval parameter db_block_size parameter to determine when this occurs? change to reduce the number of interval checkpoints? recommendations to improve overall load time?