Re: Oracle Email Function

From: Adrian Hands <AHands_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 21:39:03 -0400

Lou Fox wrote:

> Does Oracle have one? And if so where can I find documentation on it? In
> eed to execute a trigger on a table to send email whenever a row is added
> or updated to a certain table. the email will contain information related
> to the row that was updated.

Oracle 7 doesn't let a PL/SQL trigger call anything outside of Oracle's "sandbox" so what you have to do is use DBMS_PIPE or DBMS_ALERT to send a signal to a daemon that you write in Pro*C or Pro*Cobol (or whatever) that then sends the e-mail by piping through "mail" or writing to the smtp socket. Received on Tue May 19 1998 - 20:39:03 CDT