Re: SMON and coalescing

From: Suresh Bhat <suresh.bhat_at_mitchell-energy.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 16:20:01 GMT

Hi everyone !!

It has taken about 10 minutes for SMON to CPALESCE badly fragmented large tablespace with about 400 meg diskspace. It seems like SMON shares its time with other "work" and I noticed fragmentation going down via my script and eventually it COALESCED all disk space.

One of the participants in this thread mentioned that SYSTEM tablespace would be the first to COALESCE.

I was under the impression that SYSTEM, RBS, TOOLS and any other Oracle system related tablespaces should not be coalesced and consequently pctincrease for these tablespaces should be 0.

Am I missing something ?

John Vernes <vernes.j_at_consunet.nl> wrote in article <6ja0pj$3s3$1_at_news.worldonline.nl>...
> Hello,
>
> I have a short question regarding coalescing of tablespaces.
>
> As I understand this should be done by the System Monitor (SMON)
process.