Re: Interfacing Oracle7 on HP-UX to MS IIS on NT 4.0

From: Steve McAreavey <stephen.mcareavey_at_bt.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 11:09:07 +0100

From your description of the problem, it seems that you have a couple of options :

If all your data is held within the Oracle database on UNIX, then one possibility is to use Oracle Web Application Server (WAS) 3.0. This product acts as a traditional web server, but with the added ability of interfacing directly with an Oacle database. This means that your NT machine is potentially not needed.

Alternatively, you could use Microsoft IIS as your Webserver, and access the data on the Oracle database using ODBC and SQL*NET. These middleware components are freely available for Windows platforms, in fact they should have come with your Oracle V7 server packaging on a CD titled 'Oracle Client Software for Windows95/NT'. You can even download freebies from the Oracle website.

If you decide to use IIS, you don't need to code in PL/SQL and can do everything using Active Server Pages (a kind of dynamic scripting language)

The Webserver solution is probably faster, more scalable and frees up your NT machine.

The IIS approach is slower and less scalable, but proably cheaper depending on your licence arrangements with Oracle. Also the Microsoft development tools are better, and will integrate with databases other that Oracle (SQL Server etc).

HTH Steve