Re: NLS_LANG / Two clients on the same PC with different charset

From: <vizy_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 21:43:04 GMT

Hi Vik!

Thanks for writing. My problem is on the PC (NT) side not on the server side.

The NLS character set conversion works like this:

Oracle inserts the client data into the DB after mapping it from the client charset into the DB base charset (the character set you used when you created the database). In case of the omnis client the MAC8ROMAN8 should be mapped to ISO8859P1 (this is the code set on the server). There is an entry in the registry which tells oracle what charset is used by the clients (which is MAC in case of omnis), but there is only one. If you launch excel this uses ISO8859P1, so the mapping screws up the data.

In article <35606794.BD7B95BD_at_pop.gate.net>,   vgoel_at_3implant.com wrote:

> --------------04B2B915970B3D7F4F21125E
>
> Bela,
>
> Set the NLS_LANG parameters of each Oracle RDBMS in the init<sid_name>.ora
file.

> Hope this helps,
>
> Vik. Goel
>
> bvizy_at_oxmol.com wrote:
>
> > Dear Readers!
> >
> > I have two oracle client programs on my NT with different character sets.
The