Re: PLS/Excalibur vs. Oracle Text Cartridge

From: Seth Grimes <grimes_at_access4.digex.net>
Date: 1998/05/16

Wai dat Chan <waidat_at_flirble.org> writes:

>I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience of both
>using the Oracle Text Cartridge and either PLS or Verity text
>datablade.

>If anyone could provide me with a brief comparison of the two,
>or pros and cons/limitations I'd be very grateful.

>We currently use PLS indexing on about 5000 records, each with
>about 1k -> 7k worth of text. Speed is a priority.

        First, there will be no PLS blade for Informix-Dynamic Server. Your choices are Excalibur and Verity. One limitation of PLS (for Illustra) is lack of support for formatted data, e.g., PDF or office formats. None of the blades should have trouble handling the volume and size of your text; there are issues when you get to hundreds of thousands of docs. One issue with Excalibur -- I don't know about Verity -- is inability to *easily* query on multiple indexed columns in one table. Random thoughts...

                                        Seth

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana   Internet & database design & development
grimes@altaplana.com       http://altaplana.com    301-891-2581