Re: PLS/Excalibur vs. Oracle Text Cartridge

From: Joel R. Kallman <jkallman_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/05/15

Note that this is *not* a flame. I am simply correcting the inaccurate statements contained in this response

On 15 May 1998 00:39:46 GMT, landeck_at_math.ohio-state.edu (Al Landeck) wrote:

>Before going any further it is important to note that I am an Informix
>employee in the DataBlade engineering group.
>
>From what I have seen of the ConText middleware (because it is a cartridge
>in marketing terms only) it seems buggy and slow. Typical of many of these

From what I have personally deployed and personally seen at many customer sites, it is very fast and very scalable.

>Oracle Data Cartridge solutions is that the data is stored outside the
>database.

ConText stores *its* data in an Oracle database. The application developer has the design option of storing the text information they want to index either inside the database (in a number of differing column datatypes), or the text could be referenced by a filesystem specification or URL.

>As a result, queries don't seem to scale very well and are
>held up by the CORBA architecture underlying the systems. The other

There is not a CORBA architecture underlying the integration between the ConText cartridge and the Oracle server. I have no idea where this comment emanated from.

>problem with ConText as that if you should want to hook up any of the
>other cartridges with it, you need to purchase the Oracle Universal server

The ConText Cartridge is available as an option to both the Oracle8 Server and the Enterprise Edition. The Video Cartridge is available as an option to both the Oracle8 Server and the Enterprise Edition. Check out http://www.oracle.com/st/products/uds/oracle8/.

>that was modified to handle that sort of data. So in reality Oracle has
>about 6 different Universal Servers. In other words, 2 cartridges, 2 servers
>and all of the problems that go along with distributed joins and CORBA.
>
>The Verity DataBlade seems to be much better in the most recent release.
>The query performance is roughly 10 times what it was 6 months ago and
>the early complaints of bugs are now addressed. The PLS datablade only
>exists for the Illustra server. The other DataBlade to look at is the
>Excalibur Text DataBlade. You can infact use both simultaneously on the
>same data and create both Verity and Excalibur text indices on the columns
>in question. Each DataBlade exposes a slightly different set of search
>capabilities. We currently have some newspapers with 100,000+ documents
>each with query times in the 10 second range.

See:

http://www.oracle.com/st/cartridges/context/html/context_customers.html

to see ConText in action at many publicly available sites (CNN, PR Newswire, etc.)

>It is important to remember that if all you are going to be storing is text
>documents then a straight PLS or Verity or Fulcrum system will probably
>outperform both ConText and Informix, since that is all it designed to do.
>The real power of these systems comes when you are relating different kinds
>of data in the database together and need to do queries. An example of
>this could be "Find documents that contain foo and were submitted within
>100 miles of our sales office". Or another one might be "Find all Video clips
>that contain Jerry Seinfeld and also show the contracts specifying the rights
>to that particular clip."
>
>I hope this helps
>Al Landeck
>landeck_at_informix.com
>Principal Engineer, Video DataBlade
>
>In article <6jegcb$7hg$1_at_apple.news.easynet.net>,
>Wai dat Chan <waidat_at_flirble.org> wrote:
>>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience of both
>>using the Oracle Text Cartridge and either PLS or Verity text
>>datablade.
>>
>>If anyone could provide me with a brief comparison of the two,
>>or pros and cons/limitations I'd be very grateful.
>>
>>We currently use PLS indexing on about 5000 records, each with
>>about 1k -> 7k worth of text. Speed is a priority.
>>

>>Ta lots,
>>

>>Wd.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman Oracle Government, Education, & Health

Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com
jkallman@us.oracle.com                   http://www.oracle.com

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation. Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 00:00:00 CDT