Oracle8 Partitioning & Parallel Query

From: Michael Chambers <michael.chambers_at_vf.vodafone.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 19:28:44 +0100

I'm looking at using Oracle8 data partitioning to partition historical tables by date. I want to insert new data as it arrives, and remove old data (by dropping or truncating the last partition) as it is aged out, but not update any existing data.

Does anyone have any hints/tips on partitioning? e.g.
- pros & cons of splitting partitions to create new partitions, or
adding new partitions?
- recommendations on the number of partitions to use?
Any code examples would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any recommendations on usage of Parallel Query / DML etc, e.g.
- number of parallel threads to use (I read somewhere, 2*no of CPUs).

Thanks in advance,
Mike Chambers Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 13:28:44 CDT