ODBC Driver Question

From: Bryan R. Cummings <brc8940_at_vaxa.isc.rit.edu>
Date: 15 May 98 16:52:38 GMT

I work for an educational institution that uses Oracle 7.3.x.x for Solaris. We would like to port some ODBC enabled client applications to the solaris platform.

Anyways, I'll get to the point of my inquiry. While free ODBC drivers are in complete abundance on the Windows NT/95 platform. There appears to be no such animal available for Unix platforms. Yes, their are comercial vendors with ODBC drivers, but as far as I can tell, they wish to charge a premium for the same drivers which Microsoft and Oracle give away freely on the Windows platform. Now, if you are working fir a company that has a large project budget, no problem.. you can go spend the $4000 Intersolv charges for it's drivers.

Are their any low-budget ODBC drivers for Oracle availble for the Solaris platform? Or is my organization esstially screwed from the get go on this one?

Please pardon my frankness of expression, but after 4 hours of surfing the web, I'm out of ideas. It just disturbs me that no freeware of this nature has been developed for UNIX. Where are the linux gurus when you need a driver?

Ok..I think I've gotten off my chest now. Any help pointing me in the direction of a very inexpensive (under $100) ODBC driver solution for Oracle.. I
 am all ears. Received on Fri May 15 1998 - 11:52:38 CDT