Re: How do I set up multiple instances on the same machine?

From: Dave Snyder <dsnyder_at_netgenics.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:31:37 GMT

Ok... right after I sent this I figure out that I had not set up the listener.ora file correctly... I have fixed that but I still have a problem:

When I run svrmgrl, I can connect as internal with no problem (to the default instance), but I want to change to my new instance and connect as internal so I can create my database...

so, in a disconnected state, I type

SVRMGR> SET INSTANCE XXXX
** some messages about oracle **
SVRMGR> CONNECT internal
password: #######
ORA-01017: unsername/password not correct

My first question is why does it prompt me for a password in the first place? (I am logged into the server machine as a user in the dba group) also, when I type in the password, why wont it let me connect to the new instance?

Please Help! Dave