Re: Oracle Unleashed my arse!

From: Jim <cramerj_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 14 May 1998 03:28:24 GMT

Terry,

        I too have had problems with Oracle products. I tried using Personal Oracle Lite with D2k version 2.0 and after banging my head against the wall, Oracle tells me this is a "known" bug. So why couldn't I find the "known" part anywhere in their documentation! As for your problem, they always said that D2k should "just work" with Personal Oracle. I have heard the ":2" part as well. But, that didn't help me with the Lite version.

        I am running Personal Oracle 7.2 (a trial copy) with D2k version 2.0, and they do work together. When I connect I just type the Username adn Password, with nothing for the database. As for your errors the 3121 is telling you that it is having a problem finding the SQL Net driver. You could try the SQL Net Easy configuration for this. However, when you do that it writes a default TNSNAMES file. The right connection info for Personal Oracle may NOT be in that file, and thus give you the 12203.

        Now, if you know Oracle, you can try to TNSPING the Database, or try going in through SQL Plus. My advice would be to once again de-install everything, then install Personal Oracle, making sure you install the SQL Net and SQL plus. Then install D2k. Try connecting and hopefully, it will "just work", like Oracle says!

        I agree 120% with your Bill Gates remark, I often say the same things at work! Oracle is where IBM was 20 years ago, making billions in the Business market and giving a sh*t about the home PC users. By the way, do you know the difference between Larry Ellison and God?

        GOD doesn't think he's Larry Ellison! :-)

											Best of luck,
												Jim

Terry Child <t.m.child_at_surveying.salford.ac.uk> wrote in article <355A400A.8AA9BD39_at_surveying.salford.ac.uk>...
> Hi All
>
> I needed to learn Oracle 7 and D2K so I bought a copy of Oracle
Unleashed.
> The book comes with a trial copy of Personal Oracle 7 and Developer/2000.
> I would like to state for the record that this is the worst computing
related book
> that I have every attempted to read. There is absolutely no sign that the
book has
> every crossed an editor's desk. Each chapter is written by a different
person with scant reference to any other part of the book, and the chapters
> seem
> to have been inserted at random with chapters on database tuning and
backup coming before those on database design.. The writing itself is very poor,
> with the individual
> authors giving the impression that they are trying to prove to themselves
that
> they understand the subject matter, rather than trying to convey it to
the reader.
> All in all a truly awful waste of time and money.
>
> I thought that at least if the book itself was bad I could console myself
with being
> able to use the trial software. WRONG! The quality of the installation
documentation
> that comes with Personal Oracle 7 perfectly reflects the crappiness of
the book
> itself. There doesn't seem to be any single document which actually tell
you what you need
> to do to configure the thing. I have spent two days attempting to get
oracle forms to speak to the database with absolutely no progress at all.

> The first error I came across was ORA-03121. I tried using ":2" as the
database
> name as mentioned in the book but this didn't work. I thought I might
have made
> a mistake in the original installation so I tried to uninstall PO7 and
start from scratch.
> Unfortunately which I ran Oracle installer and removed everything it did
f*ck all, so
> I ended up having to manually delete everything and remove oracle from
the
> registry.
>
> Eventually I went to Oracle's web site and found a link to a page for
support on installing PO7 but when I clicked the link I got:

/u01/webapps/www/htdocs/support/products/po7/win95/html/index.html ****