Re: slow queries with Crystal Reports to Server

From: Lothar Armbrüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 13 May 98 20:12:45 +0100

On 13-Mai-98 02:12:31 John Stoffel wrote:

>We've got users who are having terrible performance when running some
>reports using Seagate Crystal Reports. They're looking at tables of
>data from our accounting system, which is the only thing that has
>write access to the tables. The system isn't swapping, CPU usage
>isn't normally very high, but goes up when the problem reports are
>being run. What happens is that the oracle process just starts taking
>up lots of CPU time.

Hello John,
I don't know if it's true for your setting, but i have observed that Crystal Reports sometimes wants to do the joins itself and therefore wants the *complete* tables from Oracle.
Perhaps you could find out what SQL is send by these reports by using the sql_trace facility.
If the reports just get the plain tables and do the joins, filters etc. themselves, you could define views in Oracle and build the reports on top of these.

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de