Re: Tuning Views

From: Peter Schneider <peter.schneider_at_okay.net>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 21:25:39 GMT

On Wed, 13 May 1998 12:54:41 -0400, tlp_at_redrockgrp.com wrote:

>I'm looking for tips in tuning views...
>
> Specifically, I have a view that contains a union. When I do a
> simple 'select' from that view it responds promptly. If I try
> to attach an 'order by' clause it takes some time to respond.
>
> I have a feeling that I need to create a temporary table with a
> view on top of that in order to achieve the results I need BUT
> I figured I would request ideas from you folks first...
>
> Thanks for the input,
> Tracy (tlp_at_redrockgrp.com)

Hi Tracy,

the union clause will eliminate duplicates from the result set. You should check whether you really need to do that. If not, using the union all clause will give better performance because it does not require to perform an internal 'sort unique' step.

HTH
Peter

--
Peter Schneider
peter.schneider_at_okay.net Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 16:25:39 CDT