Re: slow queries with Crystal Reports to Server

From: John Stoffel <jfs_at_fluent.com>
Date: 13 May 1998 16:19:59 -0400

Helmut Hahn <Helmut.Hahn_at_bitoek.uni-bayreuth.de> writes:

> Although I do not understand all actions you did, I assume that your
> problem is Crystal 5.0.

Thanks for your help, the problem turned out to be two fold. One was the user hadn't read the manual and seen the warning about not pulling fields from unconnected tables. The system just sat there going through each record in table one, and when it needed some data from table two, it would go through the entire table two. Then back to the next record in table one, back through all of table two.

As you can see, as more tables were added to the report to get more fields, the time to process went through the roof. We've educated the users, they've found a single table with most of the data they need right off the bat and all is happy.

Now we're looking for how to get a listing off the DB structure itself. What fields are in what tables, and how they are linked to other tables. Also which fields are already indexed. Anyone know a solution?

Thanks to all those who replied here and sent me email, I'm very happy now.

John

     John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Fluent, Inc.
        jfs@fluent.com - http://www.fluent.com - 603-643-2600 x341
             Geological time is not money.  - Mark Twain