Same vs. separate instance

From: Dag Arne Matre <dam_at_visma.com>
Date: 13 May 1998 08:51:49 GMT

We are sometimes facing this situation:

Install the DB for application B on the machine that runs the DB for application A. The applications are totally independent of each other. The question is whether to use the existing Oracle instance or create a separate.

I guess there is no "correct" answer to this question, just a bunch of pros and cons for each solution, and the choice must be made after evaluating those for each situation.

So, what are the pros and cons regarding backup/recovery, resource usage, ease of db admin, etc... Maybe someone can point me to some documents regarding this?

TIA,
D A Received on Wed May 13 1998 - 03:51:49 CDT